Unlock Tomorrow offers an array of trauma informed programming to help young people heal, find their voice and flourish. Our programming at its core is rooted in public safety and a commitment to give a voice to justice involved individuals while opening up opportunities to participate in creative fields
Unlock Tomorrow, in partnership with Words Uncaged and Cal State LA have developed a robust publishing platform that specializes in the work of incarcerated and formerly incarcerated individuals.
Selected creative writing participants will write, edit, and be able to publish their own book. They attend weekly classes where they will share their work with the instructors and their peers. Professional designers, writers, editors and artists will assist students in the process, which will leave them with 25 printed copies of a high quality manuscript. The program focuses on developing a sense of major accomplishment, setting and achieving goals, and building confidence.
In partnership with The Roots And Wings Project, we offer professional acting and theater training programs. These are taught and developed by international playwright, director, producer, actress, poet and veteran arts educator, Jesse Bliss.
FILM & TELEVISION
SHORT FILM WORKSHOP
Over the course of 8-10 weeks the youth will participate in writing, directing, and editing their own short film. Film and Television professionals will guide them every step of the way as they write, film, direct, and edit their own movie. We will hire professional actors to star in the production and provide all industry standard equipment for them to work with.
WRITING FOR FILM AND TELEVISION WORKSHOP
- Developing your ideas for the next great film or TV show.
- Character development, storyline, and script/teleplay formatting.
- Throughout the course the youth will develop an idea and put a pitch together.
- At the end producers, executives, and industry professionals will come in and listen to their pitches.
Developed and facilitated by writer/director Danny Dwyer.
DESIGN THINKING - Developed and taught by Jessica Salinas.
- Setting up a bank account, debit card.
- Balancing checkbook.
- Budgeting and saving.
- Exploring attainable paths to success and fulfilling work/education.
- How to network.
- Presenting yourself in different settings - dressing for the situation.
- Job fairs - Different employers will come in looking for candidates.
- Each week/month we have a speaker from a new industry and profession
- come in and talk to the youth about what they do in their field.
- The goal is to expose them to as many options as possible and showthem that there is an array of career paths and opportunities out there.
On a weekly basis, we will meet with the youth and work with them to build a professional resume that they can utilize upon release.
MOCK JOB INTERVIEWS
- Review job application process from beginning to end.
- Students will partake in mock job interviews with the instructor and get feedback from their peers.
BASIC COMPUTER NAVIGATION CLASS
- Setting up an email account.
- Navigating search engines.
- Formatting professional/personal emails and letters.
- Sending calendar invites.
SEEKING SOLUTIONS WORKSHOP
- A group discussion on finding solutions. Problem solving by the youth. Give them the tools to create change.
- How do we keep from recidivating?
- How do we offer solutions to the problems we face and see around us?
- Engaging, creative group-think exercises, and discussions.
- They will develop future programs and workshops that will be implemented by Unlock Tomorrow.
GENERATING BUSINESS IDEAS WORKSHOP
- Youth will generate their ideas for the next big thing.
- Whether it’s an app, clothing line, or a restaurant, they will be actualizing their business idea on paper. Through research and learning about formulating business plans, the four to eight-week class culminates in a presentation/pitch session where they will receive feedback from investors, community business leaders, venture capitalists etc. Formatted similar to Shark Tank.
BIG IDEAS WORKSHOP
Fun – TED Talk style presentations of great ideas. The youth will prepare 5-10 minute presentations about something they are passionate about.